Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How close are we to 1:1 learning?

I teach in the largest growing school system in the southeast, and the largest school system in the state of GA. If Gwinnett County Public Schools went to 1:1 learning it would be a huge for the industry and a major breakthrough in the field. However, I have not heard any new developments in this area. The system has just over the last few years implemented a laptop initiate for all the teachers and personnel in the system. I imagine that the county will evaluate how this has worked and see what it leads to in the future.
My opinion would be that due to the size of the school system, that we might be waiting for other school systems to try to implement this. Or it might be that they will try to implement this at one level (elementary, middle, or high school and then see how it goes. The school system is in the process of retrofitting all of the schools and updating the technology. This is a process that started a couple of years ago and should be finished by next year. This process includes installing projectors and interactive white boards in every school, and the vision is that all classrooms will have them in place. With these projects as well as just trying to keep up with building new schools, I think that our system is at least 5-10 years away from a 1:1 learning experience.

No comments: