Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thoughts/Concerns on Assessing Student Learning

As I prepare to lead students through a project based learning approach, the assessment of this unit is very important. It is usually easy to assess basic knowledge but since my learning goals are going to be more complex, different assessment methods must be used. As the students are working on their project, I would like to periodically assess their knowledge. For this I think I will require each team to meet with me twice during the lesson to explain the process of their project. As far as assessing the content knowledge and skills in the lesson, I think I am going to pair up each team and allow the teams to assess the other teams skills. Each team will produce a quiz over the content and give it to the other teams members. This will be an individual assignment, but the teams will score the quizzes and give each other feedback.

For the overall project assessment I will use a rubric, but I would like to use some different features of the rubric. I would like for my students to be able to apply the trigonometry content into real life situations. So, I would like for my rubric to have some sort of component where it would allow me to truly asses their ability to apply the content to other situations.

1 comment:

Ashley Siegel said...

I really like that you have not only talked about your summative assessment but also have put thoughts into several formative assessments. By the time the final assessment is done, there is no time to go back and reteach content. With the two formative assessments that you have suggested, meeting with the groups individually and allowing teams to assess each other, there will be time to make adjustments in the lesson to make sure that all students are understanding the material. I also like that the quizzes designed by the teams will be taken individually, because often it seems that with projects that some students do all of the work while others do as little as possible.

One thing that seems difficult to me is how you are going to be able to compare student learning if each group is coming up with a totally different quiz. One quiz might be really hard and one might be really easy. Could you maybe give each group a area that they have to design a few questions for and them combine the questions from each group into one quiz? Maybe, thought, it is less important for you to see how they are doing comparatively as it is for the students to be writing the questions from all sections. Writing questions definitely helps students process information better than just answering questions.

Finally, I also really like that your rubric will have a piece that measures how well students are able to apply what they have learned to the real world. I will be really interested to see the final rubric.